I’ve been making this for years. My kids adored it when they were young and still do. It’s a very simple recipe and tastes great! And unlike other macaroni and cheese recipes, it uses no flour.
I decided to make it tonight because I wanted some “comfort food” but didn’t want to spend a lot of time in a hot kitchen!
2 large eggs
1 stick of butter (you can substitute margarine but I prefer butter), softened
16 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. container of whole milk (4% milkfat) cottage cheese (you can use lowfat too)
1 16 oz box of elbow macaroni, penne, farfalle (bow ties) or other small pasta of your choice (I like DaVinci Twists best for this recipe)
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
Green onions chopped into small pieces (optional)
Sea salt (any salt will do, really)
1. In a large pot, boil water with about a half teaspoon of salt added.
2. When water boils, add pasta of your choice
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix 3/4 of the shredded cheese, cottage cheese, butter, eggs and parmesan cheese into a paste; set aside.
4. When pasta is cooked, drain and run cold water over it to rinse off the starch
5. Add the pasta to the cheese mixture, and mix thoroughly
6. If you wish, add the green onions.
7. Spoon the mixture into a lasagna-sized glass or foil baking pan
8. Add the remaining 1/4 of shredded cheddar cheese to the top and add a few more green onion slices if you wish
9. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and a little more parmesan cheese on top.
10. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown and cheese is melted.
11. Serve and enjoy!