Hurt (Johnny Cash): depressing song about having BPD

Johnny Cash’s masterpiece “Hurt” is  actually a cover written by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails,  and is probably the most depressing song ever about what seems to be Borderline Personality Disorder (probably with sociopathic tendencies).     The lyrics and Cash’s delivery capture the emptiness and deep despair that every Borderline feels deep inside.   When he recorded “Hurt,” he had already been given only 18 months left to live by his doctors (he suffered from a rare degenerative disease and diabetes).

This is another one of those songs that’s good for cathartic crying.   I posted the lyric video so you can read all the words (even though Johnny’s enunciation is perfectly understandable).

I was going to make this song this week’s Monday Melody, but I couldn’t wait to put it up now.

This blog is my journal. I just choose to share it with the world instead of keeping everything inside my head. I'm a recovering Borderline and have also struggled with Avoidant Personality Disorder. I also have Complex PTSD due to having been the victim of narcissistic abuse for most of my life. I write mostly about narcissism, because I was the child of a narcissistic mother, and then married to a sociopathic malignant narcissist for 20 years. But there's a silver lining too. In some ways they taught me about myself. This blog is about all that. Not all my articles will be about NPD, BPD or other personality disorders or mental conditions. I pretty much write about whatever's on my mind at the moment. So there's something for everyone here. Blogging about stuff is crack for my soul. It's self therapy, and hopefully my insights and observations may help others too.
This entry was posted in music and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Hurt (Johnny Cash): depressing song about having BPD

1. Jocelyn says:

Actually, a lot of people don’t know this, but it was originally a nine inch nails song…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPz21cDK7dg Johnny really makes it his own, though, doesn’t he?
    I think it was written about quitting iv drug use…”the needle tears a hole/the old familiar sting”…I see the connections with BPD, though.

2. rubycommenting says:

And borderlines sometimes have drug problems in an attempt to ‘feel better.’ So you’re both right:) I ask myself if I’m better, and I’ve noticed people in my life seem to like me more and come back, stick around. So in the song, it talks about people always going away in the end, and my situation is improving so I probably am better although not cured. They say there is no cure, but, recovery yes. I get why there is no cure, the situation is what it is, you can’t make your family love you. But for any BPD out there, yes, the recovery is definitely worth working for in therapy. I believe an excellent therapist is THE only way, so you’ve got to find one:)

If you have “only” BPD then you are fortunate, because even though it’s the most painful of the Cluster B disorders and causes the person to suffer the most, it’s also the most easily cured. A good therapist CAN help you heal from it! BPD is really nothing more than a more stubborn case of C-PTSD. All the symptoms are exactly the same.

• rubycommenting says:

Thanks Lucky for always further clarifying for me. I’m getting this, but, with your added info, I always get it even more:)

You have it too, don’t you? My apologies if you don’t. I think I remember on your blog you said you do.

• rubycommenting says:

Yes, but after 25 years of therapy, I’m in recovery. But still I don’t always entirely ‘get it.’ You help me figure out the finer points of what makes me me.

I appreciate that. My therapist thinks I’m recovered too. But I’m not so sure, soemtimes I think he just says that because he hates the label and is fond of me and doesn’t want me to have that label. He prefers PTSD if he has to give me a label at all. Besides I still have residual C-PTSD and we’ve been working on that. It’s working, so the labels really don’t matter.

• rubycommenting says:

Residual C-PTSD? See, another thing I didn’t know existed. Have you ever blogged on it? Unless it’s simply leftover symptoms. I find that after the disownment once I got better, there was a new set of problems, like survival and living hard and then new symptoms crop up related to that.

3. Heartafire says:

This is a heartbreaking somg and one that my friend dedicated to me and his family before he died.

4. survivednarc says:

I have also sometimes thought that this song relates to a diagnosis like BPD and/or drug abuse. But during and after the relationship with a narcissist, I myself, could also very well relate to this song! The numbness and pain after a narc relationship is like nothing I have ever been through in life.
    This is what I love about music and different songs, a lot of people can usually relate to them and interpret them to “fit” their own situation. A great song, thanks for reminding me of this one! 😊

Yes, it could describe the aftermath of narc abuse and severe C-PTSD also! The line “I will make you hurt” could be a lyric in the spirit of anger or revenge because you want to make your narc hurt after they have abused you.

5. nowve666 says:

Trent sings this so much better! I notice Christina Aguilara also sing this song. I don’t know why anyone would bother. Trent is the one.

6. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

Great song, so much deep emotion in that song.

7. mandibelle16 says:

It’s a very deep no intense song very sad. I’ve heard many versions, including the Nine inch Nails
    Version, and a Kurt Cobain cover. Johnny Cash has that voice though just seems to rip right through you, like can feel what he’s feeling.

8. I love both the NIN original and Johnny Cash’s cover. 🙂

9. I listened to a sad, romantic song a few days ago, “Thunder” by Jesse J. It was sung by Brian Justin Crumb. He puts so much emotion into his songs, (“Creep”). It made me cry, out of memory of a lost love. Most music affects me emotionally, one of the reasons I love it.