50 things to ponder.

socks

I think about these things all the time. Some of them drive me crazy!
Warning: some of these things have moral or religious implications.

1. Will we ever discover another habitable, earthlike planet? If one exists, will we build colonies there?

2. Are there colors we have never seen?

3. What happened to the ships and planes that have disappeared in the Bermuda triangle?

4. What really happens after you die?

5. Why have people always fought over religion? Why is it so all-important what others believe?

6. It’s said everyone has a double who looks exactly like them somewhere in the world. Where is mine?

7. When does a person’s soul actually enter their body?

8. Are souls “recycled” (reincarnation) or is each new person assigned a brand new soul?

9. What exactly is a soul? Is it a material thing or purely spiritual?

10. What does the fourth dimension actually look like (I don’t think time is it). Is it possible to “see” it or our brains to process what you’d see?

11. Are there any places in the universe where time can go backwards, stand still, or where it’s flexible, the way 3D space is in this reality?

12. Are ghosts really beings from a higher dimension?

13. Is an intelligent and friendly race of aliens going to save humanity from self-destruction?

14. When you die, do you go back to the same place you were before you were born? Will everything seem familiar, like going home?

15. Are heaven and hell actual places, or are they states of mind?

16. Do psychedelic drugs like DMT actually show you other realities, or is the experience purely due to changes in the way the brain processes information?

17. Are there as many grains of sand on the earth as there are stars in the universe?

18. What causes a molecule to become “life” as opposed to a nonliving thing?

19. Do beings on other planets have DNA? Do they have cells?

20. If the dinosaurs had lived, would they have evolved intelligence?

21. Why do you never see baby squirrels?

22. Do lower animals (fish, reptiles, insects, etc.) experience any kind of sexual pleasure when mating?

23. Do single celled, asexual animals experience pleasure when they reproduce?

24. What do animals like dogs and cats actually think about? They look like they’re always thinking about something!

25. Why do most people prefer eating unhealthy food over healthy food, when it’s worse for your survival?

26. If eating insects was socially acceptable in modern cultures, would we be able to end starvation?

27. Was 9/11 an inside job?

28. Is the Illuminati really running everything? (I’m leaning toward yes)

29. Do socks that disappear in the wash actually go into an alternate universe where random socks just appear?

30. Does the taste of something taste different to different people? Is my experience of “cheese” or “chocolate” the same as yours?

31. The same thing about color. Does “red” to me look the same as “red” to you?

32. Are there any worlds in which music is a language?

33. Do plants get cancer? (I got the answer to this and posted about it here) But it’s still a good question.

34. Does cancer always hurt? Is it possible to get cancer and not really suffer?

35. Is the treatment for cancer worse than the disease itself?

36. Why do some people seem to have “charmed lives”? Why do others seem to be cursed from the day they are born?

37. If “survival of the fittest” is real, will modern western culture eventually breed out those who have empathy and the capacity to be altruistic until we become a race of unfeeling psychopaths and that becomes the new normal? This really scares me…

38. Are some “disorders” like Aspergers really just variations of cognition and not really a disorder at all? (The Aspie rights movement does believe this)

39. If some people are born gay and can’t change their sexual orientation, how can being gay be sinful?

40. If humans have been cloned, do they have souls too?

41. Do animals have an afterlife? If heaven exists, why wouldn’t our pets be there too?

42. Why is coffee not considered a “drug”?

43. Are men really from Mars and women from Venus?

44. Is it possible for non-human animals to cry? Evidently elephants can shed emotional tears and there have been reports of certain dogs crying.

45. Does the sun have any kind of consciousness? Sometimes it seems like it does.

46. Why do so many religions stifle thinking about these kinds of things, especially since God gave us a brain to think with?

47. Does a shadow have any kind of substance, or is it the absence of substance (light)?

48. Is it possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light?

49. Will we ever be able to time travel?

50. What kind of other universes are there? Do they have different physics than this one?

I can think of so many more. I might do another post like this sometime.

This blog is my journal. I just choose to share it with the world instead of keeping everything inside my head. I'm a recovering Borderline and have also struggled with Avoidant Personality Disorder. I also have Complex PTSD due to having been the victim of narcissistic abuse for most of my life. I write mostly about narcissism, because I was the child of a narcissistic mother, and then married to a sociopathic malignant narcissist for 20 years. But there's a silver lining too. In some ways they taught me about myself. This blog is about all that. Not all my articles will be about NPD, BPD or other personality disorders or mental conditions. I pretty much write about whatever's on my mind at the moment. So there's something for everyone here. Blogging about stuff is crack for my soul. It's self therapy, and hopefully my insights and observations may help others too.
This entry was posted in lists, questions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to 50 things to ponder.

1. plotless1 says:

The illuminati will be all over your blog now. I am liking your mind

2. Lady Quixote/Linda Lee says:

Hi Lauren, this is Linda Lee, also known as @LadyQuixote on Twitter. No one was getting any notifications of my comments with my original wordpress account, and WP couldn’t seem to help me. So now I have a whole new WP account. I sure hope you will be notified of this comment! If so, then I will transfer my blog to this account. But if not, I guess I will have to switch to a different blog host, Google or something else. But I really don’t want to do that, I would miss all my WordPress blogger friends very much!

I love this post. I have often wondered about most of these fifty things. It’s like we have the same brain! Regarding your #6, back in the 1980s several different people told me that I had a doppelganger living in Virginia Beach. They said she was a psychiatrist! Imagine that!

About the bay squirrels, I have seen them. I was a little girl playing in the back yard and I befriended a squirrel. When she had babies, she paraded them by me as soon as they could walk. It was a wonderful experience.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee says:

Oops I meant that I have seen baby squirrels. Duh. 🙂

Your comment showed up! I had to approve it, but still! You really saw baby squirrels? Are they cute?

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee says:

Yes I did see baby squirrels and they were so cute! The mama squirrel had learned to trust me when I left nuts out in the yard for her. She never got close enough to let me touch her, but when I was playing outside she would often come to within a few feet of me. One day she paraded her babies in front of me two times. I believe she had three. Not sure now of the exact number, because it was so long ago, I was only seven years old. That was in 1961! I have never seen a baby squirrel since.

Hey hey hey, your comments are showing up, even though I have to approve them. No, don’t go to Blogger! They suck!
      It sounds like things are working out though, since your comments did show up after all.

I have a strange brain and that’s cool you have the same kind of brain I do.

I bet the baby squirrels are cute.
      When I was 14, I used to have a magazine subscription to some teen magazine, and I remember receiving an issue with a girl on the cover who looked exactly like me! Even other people at school noticed it and told me they never knew I was a model, lol. I was rather pretty as a teenager, not drop dead gorgeous, but more babyfaced cute. I still have a baby face. Anyway, looking at that girl on the cover was a very surreal experience.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee says:

YAY I am so glad that my comments are showing up!! I hope you still get the notification of my comments, now that you no longer have to approve them. Please let me know if you do get a notification, okay?

Your reply reminded me that when I was in the mental institution as a teenager, I was sent home for Christmas — I think the year was 1968 — and on the coffee table was a McCalls magazine with a model on the cover who looked so much like me, one of my sister’s had written my name on the cover. I found that old issue for sale on eBay a few years ago and bought it. Strange to think that at 15 I looked like a cover girl model, and I was incarcerated in an insane asylum at the same time.

Life really isn’t fair, like your #36 points out.

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

I totally believe #29 is so true 😉

4. ibikenyc says:

I LOVE pondering stuff like this!

Back in probably the Seventies, there was a book called, I believe, “The Book Of Questions.”

It was as ubiquitous at house parties back then as Billy Joel and Mateus Rose.

5. We found a baby squirrel in a parking lot many years ago. It was the cutest little thing you can imagine, and it had absolutely no fear of anyone. We couldn’t figure out what such a small squirrel was doing out of its nest, unless its mother had been hit by a car or caught by a predator or something, and the baby got so hungry it had to leave the nest to look for food. We took it home and tried to give it food and water, and we called an animal rescue organization and asked them what to do. They told us to bring it to their shelter, which we did… but when we called back a few days later to ask how it was doing, they told us it had died. 😦