This is the kind of Christmas music I like.

I don’t want to hear Jingle Bell Rock ,  The Little Drummer Boy, Jingle Bells, Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, or Santa Baby (puke!).   If I hear these kinds of songs on the radio I will change the station immediately, but unfortunately, they’re EVERYWHERE.  Bleh.

I don’t hate all Christmas music though.  I love traditional, religious carols like these.  It’s not necessarily because I’m religious either.   Even when I was a near-atheist, I still preferred them to secular Christmas ditties.   Call me stodgy and old fashioned (or snobbish), but it’s just much better music.  In my opinion.

These boys sing like angels.

I also really like Good King Wenceslas.   You don’t hear it a lot anymore.  It’s a traditional English carol about a good king who gives to the poor, so I think it’s definitely in the right spirit for the season.

This entry was posted in music, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to This is the kind of Christmas music I like.

1. That’s one thing I love about listening to goth/hard rock/alternative stations: no Christmas music! In fact, if the DJs tried to play them, they’d probably get hammered with complaints. 😀

I can’t stand the way almost every radio station around here (even the cooler, more progressive ones that play indie music or good rock) HAVE to play Christmas songs like, every second or third song, for the whole month of December. If they MUST play Christmas songs, why not the good ones? It’s always shit like Santa Baby and Jingle Bell Rock. 🙄
      Does anyone really LIKE that crap?
      Forgive me for the ’80s-ism, but…gag me with a spoon!
      There is one hard rock station that plays a lot of ’90s rock and grunge and post-grunge and they play NO Christmas music. I’ve been listening to that a lot more than usual. 🙂

2. I just don’t play the radio this time of year. I like your kind of Christmas music, though.

3. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    This is Lucky Otter’s Haven!!

4. michelle213norton says:

Totally with you on that!! The REAL Christmas music is the way to go!!

5. Mihaela says:

I love your blog. I couldn’t agree more about your taste in Christmas music. I can’t stand the tacky commercialised muzak we hear everywhere nowadays. Being part Romanian, my favourites are the traditional ‘colinde de craciun’ – Romanian Christmas carols. Some are very old, and carol-singers in traditional folk costumes still go round from house to house in the villages.

6. Wolfgirl says:

I’ll confess, I like Jingle Bell Rock, Frosty the Snowman, Little Drummer Boy, etc. (NOT Santa Baby, though, and especially not Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, I’ve hated those two since I was a little kid), but I can see them getting very old very fast if I listened to the radio. Back when we did use the radio more, I remember those songs playing over and over to the exclusion of everything else, almost. It got boring.

But I love the carols, too! They’re all so beautiful, and they tend to make me feel more uplifted and in the Christmas spirit than the pop songs. Part of their attraction, for me, is learning all the verses (I’m pretty good at memorizing things, so learning lots of verses is kind of a fun challenge for me). I remember being so proud of myself when I was about eleven, learning all six verses of Good King Wenceslas. That one really needs more attention, it’s such a good one. Ooh, maybe you could do a “top favorite carols list” or something! 🙂

7. Oh, I take it back, the goth station DOES play Christmas music! They just played “Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo.” 😉