8 good things about fall.

pumpkin_patch

Alright, fine.  I hate fall (see my last post), but it does have a few redeeming traits.  I can name them on one hand plus three fingers.  See?  I can be fair.

1.  The end of flea season.  If you’re a pet owner, you know exactly why this is important. Especially if you’re sensitive to their bites, the way I am.
  2. No more blisteringly hot, humid, days that make you feel like you’re covered in glue and cause your hair to frizz up and your clothes to stick to you like ColorForms™, and cause tempers to flare.
  3. No more bugs.
  4. You don’t have to mow the grass anymore.  Or at least you can mow it a lot less.
  5. Halloween is kind of fun, and Christmas always turns out to be nice, in spite of the dreaded, over-commercialized “holiday season” that precedes it starting around Labor Day.
  6. You don’t feel guilty about sleeping in on weekends, or get that awful feeling that you might be missing something because you wasted your day lying in bed.
  7. Pumpkins are overrated and taste like garbage, but they do look sort of bright and happy sitting out there on a patch of grass covered with leaves.  Gourds are nice too.
  8. The smell of wet fallen leaves, fattening baked goods (except pumpkin pies, ew), and fires.

This blog is my journal. I just choose to share it with the world instead of keeping everything inside my head. I'm a recovering Borderline and have also struggled with Avoidant Personality Disorder. I also have Complex PTSD due to having been the victim of narcissistic abuse for most of my life. I write mostly about narcissism, because I was the child of a narcissistic mother, and then married to a sociopathic malignant narcissist for 20 years. But there's a silver lining too. In some ways they taught me about myself. This blog is about all that. Not all my articles will be about NPD, BPD or other personality disorders or mental conditions. I pretty much write about whatever's on my mind at the moment. So there's something for everyone here. Blogging about stuff is crack for my soul. It's self therapy, and hopefully my insights and observations may help others too.

31 Responses to 8 good things about fall.

1. rubycommenting says:

You’re being fair about it lol. Yes I like those things too. I thought you mentioning pumpkins again was funny.

2. rugby843 says:

Being a Vermonter in my youth, I love fall for many reasons. But this is funny!

3. Okay, there is something seriously wrong with your taste buds if you don’t like pumpkin pie – what’s not to like? I could eat an entire pie in a day – without sharing it with a soul, which is why I rarely make one. 🙂 To be fair, without spices and the egg custard base, it wouldn’t be good, but in savory recipes it is pretty darned tasty as a vegetable.

I have a recipe for stuffed pumpkin that everyone raves about (with eggplant, rice, garlic, carrots, etc. – baked and served in the pumpkin shell). It takes forever to make, so I have only made it for the winter holidays as a vegetarian alternative, but everybody always seems to eat more of that than anything else – except, of course, the mashed potatoes and gravy. 🙂
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
    – ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

I’m sure it’s very good if you’re a pumpkin lover. I just don’t like the taste. It doesn’t taste like much of anything to me except a vague kind of vegetable taste, like squash, and that’s not my idea of a good dessert. But I know I’m in the minority and most people seem to love it. I’ll take apple pie or shoo fly pie over pumpkin pie any day. Most people hate shoo fly pie, but I can’t get enough of it and I make a pretty mean one! I’ll post the recipe as Thansgiving draws near.

The stuffed pumpkin sounds kind of yummy though — but it’s being presented as a vegetarian dish, not as a dessert. Would it be too much trouble to post the recipe? I may try it this Thanskgiving.

• It’s one I found in a cookbook I’ve had for ages called The Vegetarian Epicure, so I’m sure it’s covered by copyright protection. You can probably get the book in your library. If not, ask them to order a copy – it’s a classic, and every recipe I’ve tried is a keeper. Amazon has used copies, I believe.

Unless you have vegetarian staples in your kitchen (potato peels in your freezer that you use as a base for garlic broth, etc.), it really does take practically all day. If not, start freezing those peels immediately if you are even thinking about trying it!

Still, pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup are two of my favorite things. But what is shoo fly pie?
        xx,
        mgh

4. Lol. You are so cool, Lucky. That’s why we love your blog.

I like pumpkin pie, although I prefer pecan pie and coconut cream pie. Even a good cherry or peach cobbler tastes better to me than the ubiquitous pumpkin. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted pumpkin seeds. I am addicted to those things. Yum! Even our poodle likes them. The Pit bull, not so much 😉

5. Pingback: September Song | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

6. explorelaughdream says:

I love this post! I hate flea season. However, I don’t know how you don’t like pumpkin!! It’s so good haha

7. Wolfgirl says:

Haha! I’m a pretty big fall/winter lover (having a winter birthday may have something to do with it), but I know the cold seasons aren’t for everyone. Case in point, my mom, who laments every year about the loss of hot weather and pool days and being able to garden.

It’s a shame that the fall colors aren’t very nice where you are. In our corner of NC, they’re really quite nice, I think! I’ve started being able to predict what color different trees in our neighborhood will turn, and there’s different reds and yellows and oranges and this funny pinkish color 🙂 (I think I’m just crazy about fall colors because I spent my early childhood in CA, though. ANYTHING looks like fall colors if you’ve ever spent years surrounded by pine trees.)

I’m super-excited about everything you mentioned, except not mowing grass (we just have an assortment of ground covers, and my brother and dad go outside every so often and cut them down with weed-whackers XD) and sleeping in (I find fall much nicer to go out in than summer anyway). Thanks for being fair 🙂

No problem! Hey, what part of NC do you live in? I think the northern areas (aroun Boone, etc.) are probably nicer. The leaves on the parkway look pretty too, but those trees were planted their deliberately for their colorful fall foliage, probably.