My worst blogging “sin.”

ohnonotagain

As a WordPress.com blogger, I’m proud to be part of a community of other great bloggers, some of whose experiences are so similar to my own.    I feel close with these bloggers and have come to care about their day to day struggles and their hopes and dreams, almost as much as I care about my own.   I have been inspired by their words and their ideas, have laughed with them, and sometimes, cried with them.

But I have a big problem and I feel terrible about it.    I’ve been really bad lately about following up on these bloggers’ posts and commenting as much as I could.   It’s not that I’m not interested, because I am, very much so.    But lately, life has been getting in the way.  I have been working longer hours than usual, and I come home from work exhausted and just wanting to crawl under the covers and sleep for days.   Of course, I don’t do that but sometimes I do take a nap for an hour or two.

Then, after eating a quick dinner and showering, I FINALLY get to sit down with my laptop to answer all my comments (I get quite a few so that takes a while and I like to try to answer all of them if I can), checking emails (I get a number of those too), and THEN trying to get in a new post or two on top of that, it’s already 10 or 11 at night (and sometimes later), and sleepiness is starting to take over.   Then I remember I have once again failed to check my friends’ blogs (I’m thinking of Rubycommenting, Katie’s Dream, and Prairie Girl’s blogs in particular because these wonderful ladies always comment on all my posts–if I’ve left out anyone else, I apologize for that), even though I had every intention of doing so.

I promised myself that tonight, I would definitely check these blogs for new posts and try to comment, but lo and behold, I got into an hour long phone conversation with my son about my plans to visit him next week, and now it’s 10:40 PM and I have no energy left to read anything else and I have to be up again at 6:30 AM.   So once again, my friends’ blogs have gone unvisited by me.

I hope my blogger friends will forgive me–I’m not ignoring your posts on purpose.  Tomorrow,  unless I am dead or in the hospital or abducted by aliens, I will be “driving by” your blogs and reading your posts and also commenting or at least Liking your posts so you know I actually read them.   So please ladies, be patient with me.  And thank you for all your comments here.  🙂

16 Responses to My worst blogging “sin.”

1. carlalouise89 says:

I have a similar problem. I try and rotate who I comment and like and everything. Maybe that’ll make it easier for you? I’ve found that there’s too many blogs I follow, and too many people post multiple things a day, that I literally don’t have the time otherwise.

I try to do follow for follow, so that means I’m following about 1000 or more blogs. I never unfollow any either (I don’t even know everyone I;m following) so theres no way I can comment on or Like on all of them. But I do want to be more interactive with those people who comment frequently and have blogs with content that is similar to mine. I used to sometimes just go through the Reader and like stuff, but that’s kind of cheating because you’re not really reading the whole post. And besides, for some reason my Reader doesn’t bring up new posts by some of the people I do follow. So I have to go to their blogs themselves and check for new posts. I was pretty good about that for awhile, but lately it’s been hard because there’s no time. I still want to try to find the time though, because i think it’s important and these blogs are helpful and inspirational to me.

• carlalouise89 says:

I’m the same (although following less blogs). But I’m definitely following hundreds. But it’s too much. So I just pick and choose and try and spread it around. Sometimes I can get more in and other times I just can’t. I think you do your best, and that’s the most important thing 🙂

2. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

No worries, all good!

3. Oh my gosh, if I tried to follow such rules, I’d never get anything else done. 😉

4. rubycommenting says:

Lucky don’t worry about it, you’re fine:) I’m just so happy that I found your blog, and this group of ladies here, one day when I was google searching on narcissists and was drawn into your friendly, personable, and professional blog. I know what you mean though, just as in real world friendships, it’s like an unspoken duty we have to each other. You want to show up and give back to others who have given to you. I’m ok right now, but, my latest post might interest you because it’s about something that doesn’t typically happen and it’s very short, so let me point you in the direction of that one anyway. I used to comment on every single thing you wrote and lately it’s been more like every 2-3 things you write but it has nothing to do with disappointment in you. I’ve just been busier lately. But when things slow down I’m sure I will be right back to commenting on everything again.

Thanks Ruby, that makes me feel a bit better. I definitely want to check out that post tonight too. Wow, my blog is “professional”? Thanks! 😀
      Yes, I definitely feel like I’ve been taking and not giving back (commenting on others). But if I’m replying to comments (which I am pretty good at) then at least it’s something, I guess. Thanks!

5. rubycommenting says:

PS you mention that people email you directly? Where do I find the link to do that if I should want to someday?

6. Prairie Girl says:

I always understood that that you were busy with a job and with doing what was necessary to keep committed to a popular blog. Your visits are like a sunshine bomb on my blog – they’re worth the wait.

7. Bradley says:

I think, or at least hope most people understand that sometimes were unable to read them. Sometimes life just gets in the way.