Word of the week: Perspicacious

If you like “hundred dollar words,” then perspicacious definitely fits that category.   I have a better than average working vocabulary, but I have to admit I had to look this one up to learn its definition.

When my therapist used it in our session this week (referring to me!), I felt like a big dummy because I had no idea what it meant.  I asked him for a pen so I could write the word down to remind myself to use it as this week’s featured word.   I was surprised that I actually spelled it correctly.   It’s a good word to use in conversation if you want to sound either really pretentious or really smart perspicacious.

perspicacious

8 Responses to Word of the week: Perspicacious

1. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

I felt insipid for not knowing perspicacious…

😉

2. katiesdream2004 says:

I didn’t know it either and I have a fairly big vocabulary too. I think writers tend to like to collect interesting words, after all words are our paint and being perspicacious is the paint brush. Unfortunately this word reminds me of perspire enough that I’d worry that someone would believe I was accusing them of perspiring too much or that I perspired liberally. I’ve always had a big vocabulary but frequently slaughtered the pronunciations because I’d absorbed the words while reading instead of social interactions. I was then accused by family of putting on airs and showing off when in fact, I just found multi-syllables a sensory delight in my drab and lonely world.

3. askriverbed says:

So fun. Yeah, I throw this word around like hundred dollar bills (not at all!) But it’s one of those words I’ve looked up before (does that count?). Inspiring – thank you!

4. Susan says:

pers..what is the root word meaning?
    I could only think of perspiration and that’s not at all related.im surprised by this word, thank you: )
    oh I saw it above…”perspire,” from Latin perspirare “blow or breathe constantly,” from per- “through” (see per) + spirare “to breathe, blow” (see spirit (n.)). so “see” was part of the root…

• Susan says:

I meant from latin ..both words have the “see” in root.. interesting!
      I have never heard that word!

I thought of the word “perspire” too and wondered if there was a root word for both; but didn’t bother to research it. Thanks for looking into this! Etymology and he evolution of language is so interesting.