I admit it. I’m easily grossed out. That’s why I could never work as a nurse. In this list I’m only including the things that most people don’t think are that disgusting (that’s why you won’t see vomit, poo, or green phlegm here), or things that seem very specific. I think some of them are pretty weird.
Things That Gross Me Out
- The sight of blood pouring out of someone’s mouth. Seeing blood (even a lot of it) doesn’t necessarily bother me. But when I see a movie or show where blood is spurting from someone’s mouth and nose I have to look away. I can’t stand seeing that.
- Long fingernails that are not polished. They don’t have to be dirty. I never understood why women want long nails if they’re not going to polish them. I think it looks nasty. I have no idea why it bothers me but it does.
- Dried spittle, especially when it forms white strings.
- Dishwater left with bits of food floating in it.
- Ketchup and mayo mixed together.
- Any kind of slimy shellfish. I can’t look at them or eat them.
- Eye gunk.
- Edematic skin that looks red, tight and shiny with veins visible.
- Putting in someone else’s pierced earrings. I can’t do it.
- Boiled squash. I don’t care for the texture of pumpkin much either.
- Eating chicken skin. Something about the texture is just ew. Same thing with tripe (besides the horrible smell).
- Bone visible through a gash.
- Shiny bald heads with scabs or dry-skin scales.
- The sound of someone eating, chewing, smacking lips, etc.
- When someone talks and you can hear wet mouth sounds while they speak.
- Mayo on almost anything. (In tuna salad or deviled eggs, it’s fine).
- The bottom of a refrigerator, where water pools and mixes in with bits of food and eventually a pinkish mold grows there.
- The inside of a raw Thanksgiving turkey. I love stuffing, but I always have to get someone else to stuff it for me because the way it looks and feels makes me gag.
- Eggs with gooey yolks. Even worse: when I’m with someone who is dipping their toast into the runny egg and swirling it around in it, I feel like puking. Even worse still: the part of a cooked egg white that for some reason doesn’t get cooked and you get a mouthful of viscous slime. Blargh.
- The slimy feel of the rim of a used drinking glass when you trying to wash it.
- Bread that has had raw tomato on it and turns pink and gushy.
- The jelly-like coating on an opened can of cat or dog food.
- Insect fragments and carcasses in windowsills.
- Thinking about someone getting their ear cartilage pierced. Shudder. I don’t know if it’s because I think it’s disgusting or if it’s more like that horrible way you feel when you hear someone scraping their fingernails on a blackboard–not exactly gross but horrible just the same.
- That foam you sometimes see in stagnant pond or lakewater
I think that’s enough. I need to stop before I heave.
ETA: 2 more I just thought of.
26. the feeling of chalk, powder, or dried clay on my hands. Not gross really, I just hate the feeling of it.
27. “Surprises” when I’m eating. I hate, hate, hate when you bite into something expecting one thing, and taste something you didn’t expect, even if it’s something I would have liked if I had known what it was. Or eating something designed to look like something else. Like a cake done up to look exactly like a pot roast and veggies. Just ew. Keep it away from me.
Apparently a lot of people suffer from Trypophobia, the fear of clusters of holes. If you Google it, the images that come up are a little unsettling, but they don’t disgust or terrify me, like they do for some people. I actually find these images interesting to look at.