“Egomania” (an archaic term for NPD) is an extremely well done documentary about NPD with interviews with business executives, cult leaders, criminals and others who have this devastating disorder.
Highlights: David Berg, founder of the biblical sex cult “Children of God” (very scary) and writer of his own bible, eventually encouraged sexual activity with children in the cult; murderer Brian Blackwell, a “nice boy” who had all 9 clinical traits of NPD (very few people have all of them, even among narcissists), a pathological liar and charmer who snapped and murdered his own parents without an ounce of remorse; and Sam Vaknin, who has all 9 traits of NPD but was insightful enough to separate himself from humanity by exiling himself to an eastern European country and lives as a near-hermit with his subservient wife.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGTwgX-TUfM&list=PL8u7CCgBKzq_hqU0zyFBfsG00-ZT3Ct3H
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXe9dn_SlE0
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rB2VI4uK8
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0vYmKZjQts
Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n52kfOul_hQ
David Berg’s evil cult “Children of God” was so fascinating to me I plan to watch the 7 part series about it on Youtube. I may write about it later and/or post the videos.
The CEO interviewed in the beginning of the documentary was quite frightening to me and I would have pegged him as a very malignant narcissist, and yet he is not clinically NPD because he only possesses three of the traits (most normal people have 2 or 3). Maybe it’s because his few NPD traits seem so extreme.
For easier reference, here are the 9 traits of someone with NPD (per DSM):
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
6. Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
7. Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
9. Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Kind of off-topic, but why are almost all good documentaries from the UK or Canada and not from America? American “documentaries” are just infotainment and fluff and there seem to be so few good ones.